Backstory: Ted Gurdy -- Uncommon Hero

The following is an excerpt from the diary of the widow Hubbard...

With heavy heart I confess the death of one of my middling sons. The fault is my own and while I almost can’t bear the shame, I shoulder it as penance. May God have mercy on my soul.

A mother’s greatest fear is the loss of one of her children. While I have had 12 children to my credit, no amount of them will replace the one I abandoned on the prairie.

When I saw that he was not with us, I sent my oldest son along with a large sword-wielding man to retrieve him. This man was uncouth and nearly witless, but his skill with a blade and the purity of his heart proved themselves amply and without subtlety.

For two days this hero and my son traveled out on the plains alone. Back to my homestead they went, fighting rampaging gnolls all the way, until this brave hero was stricken, near unto death. My elder son, too, was injured. Only the grace of God saved the both of them, though in his unfathomable wisdom, they could not save my missing child from a cruel death in flames. Ted Gurdy vowed revenge and did kill those responsible. He brought the body of my dearest back for a fitting funeral.

In gratitude, my eldest has now pledged to serve this Ted Gurdy as his Page. The man is uncommonly brave, but as impious as he is stupid, and my son has said he would see him redeemed to faith in our wise God. Now I pray daily for them both, and I hold out hope that my boy might learn something more than just how to drink hard liquor from his new master.

I offered to pay him all of my life savings, including my wedding band from my dear departed husband, but he would have none of it.

Quote of the Day: "Lady, I feel terrible about your kid, I can't take your money. Keep it. I don't know.Maybe buy yourself a new kid or something."

No comments:

Post a Comment