The Governors Twenty

From the Diary of Myla called Halfelven.

Well, they did it.

I am not sure how with all the odds against them, but there is no doubt they succeeded. My ward, Toland, tells me that they are off the island, the Southrun assassins were stymied and the girl and her brother are safely out of the governor's clutches. That is success by anyone's standards.



So it seems I have misapprehended their abilities. If I ever see them again I will be sure to tell them that they impressed me today. Free City is a dangerous place. I know that well. I have lived three lifetimes here, it seems, and I am never sure I will have tomorrow. So how these mainlanders always muddle through is beyond me.

Let me begin at the beginning. I have the whole story now from everyone involved. I know the details even the heroes don't.

The story begins with a girl of Westrun, anxious to run from her petty existence on the streets of the city of Balduren. She goes to the wharf of that town, like any child seeking adventure might, and runs into the arms of the first person she meets with a wink and a smile and the promise of a better life. Unfortunately for her, those arms belong to Ergin the Whip, a slaver of some reputation. She is quickly trundled off into the hold of a ship and taken to Free City, ironically the city of greatest bondage for young women in all Erenth.

Once in Free City she becomes one of the Governors Twenty, a bevy of hand-picked women assigned to his exclusive brothel, catering to his personal desires and those of his richest customers. She might have been lost to that life forever, where it not for the pluck of a younger brother. He comes across that handful of adventurers who are motivated enough by a sad tale and promise of riches to actually try to emancipate her from her assigned fate.

Unfortunately for her would be rescuers, they are pursued by assassins of Southrun, the so-called Crimson Scimitars, who mean to kill them for one sleight or another. They sought my help of course, but ran afoul of my darling protector, Toland -- who I admit is overly suspicious for my sake.

Nevertheless, without my help, they managed to secret the girl and her brother away from the Governors compound. They did so even after learning that the brother had none of the riches he claimed to and finding that he and his sister were common cast offs in that city. These they paid to have returned to Balduren, and put them in the hands of the Protectors, who operate an orphanage thereabouts.

By some manner of luck they escaped both the Crimson Scimitars and the Hue and Cry of every headhunter, mercenary, and ne'erdowell on the salty streets of Free. I don't expect them to return, but if they ever do, I mean to buy them a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment