Ashore At Last

Excerpted from the diary of Jack Presser, Captain of all the Ocean's Deep.

We have put ashore expecting to find habitation and civilization and found neither. This land is full of goblins! There is one building distant. It appears to have a strange red hue which is most visible when the sun is behind us. We make for it tomorrow.




****

Some miles separated our ship from what turned out to be a ziggurat raised in the midst of this forbidden landscape. Heedless of the obvious danger of such an inhospitable place, my companions insisted that we enter and demand hospitality. Now hours later, we make with all due haste to return to the ship and safety. There are men there who fancy themselves scholars but are little more than brigands. Not all of us escaped. The man Snow did not accompany us and my questions to Brumbar went unanswered.

****

A day later, we are safely afloat, where my skills are unmatched by any who ply the oceans. I think on the events of the last day and suppress a chill. Never have I seen a knight so savage as this Brumbar. He has seen to our safety and taken a hostage for good measure, but I can't help but think we might have been able to resolve our differences without so much spilt blood. We were pursued, as well, by a gaunt man who I swear appeared more dead than alive. By some magic his voice came to us on the wind as we retreated from the shore -- all sails aloft and all oars in the water. I shudder to think of his promise of vengeance.

****

As captain of this ship I have determined to prove that Erenth is no cylinder. My next enterprise will be to circumnavigate this world (I insist it is a globe) from North to South. I expect it will go as well as our traverse from West to East. I expect some cooler weather ahead. Brumbar is resistant.

No comments:

Post a Comment